Chili Pepper and Garlic Chilaquiles (Vegan)
- 1 tsp Chili Pepper and Garlic oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped carrots
- 15 oz can Chickpeas garbanzo beans, or 1.5 cups cooked
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- a good dash of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp or more salt
- 2 tortillas or 1.5 cups tortilla chips
- chopped red onion cilantro and lime juice for garnish
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tomato
- 1 cup water or stock
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- half of the onion garlic mixture from above
- 1/3 tsp salt
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrots and a pinch of salt and cook until golden. 4 to 6 mins. Stir occasionally. Reserve half of the mixture for the red sauce.
Add chickpeas and spices to the skillet (or use 1 tbsp or more taco seasoning or chili powder blend of choice ). Mix well, Cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
Meanwhile make the red sauce: Blend all the ingredients and reserved onion garlic carrot mixture until smooth in a blender and set aside. (You can also make the sauce with red salsa, chipotle pepper, cumin, salt and water as needed).
Add tortilla chips or crisped sliced tortillas to the chickpea skillet. *
Pour the blended sauce over them. mix and bring to boil. Taste and adjust salt and heat and mix in.
Serve immediately garnished with chopped onion, cilantro, and a dash of lime juice. Add other garnishes like avocado or vegan sour cream/vegan queso etc.